3D Printed Display Base Using Re-purposed Computer Part

 Hi, Everyone!

Over the years, I've accumulated a small stack of 3.5-inch hard disk drives that I always had intentions of performing deep data wipes on or destroying.  I never get around to them, though, so they just sit around.  Recently, I thought about how I could re-purpose those drives so that they wouldn't end up being yet another bunch of discarded wasteful tech.

One of the nicer parts of a hard disk drive are the data disc "platters."  There are usually one or more of these platters in each drive, with each one being fairly rigid and having a nice smooth mirror finish.  People have re-purposed them into things such as the face of small clocks and combined multiples of them to use as hanging decorations.  For me, I decided to use them as part of a custom model display base.

I came up with a 3D printed four piece design.  There is an outer shell with a rounded edge at the top.  An inner shell - which can house a small bit of electronics and provide a platform for a data platter to sit on - slides into the outer one.  After being combined, the two shells have good weight and strength to them.  I then created a piece for the center of the platter which acts as a hole cover.  Finally, I made a sleeve that joins with the platter hole cover so that together they make up a solution for a brass tube to run into.

The cost of plastic material needed is less than $2.00 U.S.D..  After printing, everything fits snugly and is ready for a bit of post-production work, painting, and finishing.  Check out the pictures below!











I'll refine things a bit further so that it won't be a two shell design and so that it won't be so tall.  Overall, I think it came out pretty nice and functional.

:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Polar Lights / Round 2 1:48 Area 51 UFO

Trumpeter Transformers Blitzwing

Revell 1:72 Razor Crest and 1:65 Outland TIE Fighter